Josh Henkin – How To Use The Ultimate Sandbag To Improve Strength And Human Movement
(#270) Josh Henkin returns to the podcast to share a comprehensive “masterclass” about the benefits and uses of ultimate sandbag training.
Josh Henkin is a CSCS with decades of experience. He is one of the most respected names in fitness and his innovative Dynamic Variable Resistance Training (DVRT™) has allowed him to present in more than 13 countries and publish in top outlets like Men’s Health and the Wall Street Journal.
Josh has coached people of all backgrounds, including the U.S. Army Special Forces Recruiting Battalion and U.S. Marines.
In this great session, Josh goes deep into the essentials of sandbag training (DVRT) so that you understand everything about how to get started the right way and how to better incorporate this training system into your strength and performance programs.
Here’s what you’ll learn about this week:
- What makes “sandbag training” different?
- What Josh says is the real role of the strength coach
- Understand the problem with “homemade” sandbags
- How to apply progressive overload with the sandbag
- The 4 ways to progress with DVRT
- Step-by-step considerations to get started
- Why the handles are critically important in training
- How sandbags can expose and address “gaps” in training
- Why loads are extremely deceptive with sandbags
- The 7 primary movement patterns with DVRT
- Why the little tips make the biggest difference
- How squatting is different with a sandbag (squatting progressions)
- Why training is about movement patterns – not exercises
- The value of creating tension (this is huge)
- Why holding position and body position are so key to successful training
- Is it easier to learn DVRT if you’re a certified kettlebell instructor?
- The 6 specific foundational movements with a sandbag
- What sandbag training teaches the body
- The real benefit of the “up-down” exercise
- Is sandbag training more strength or conditioning?
- An overview of the DVRT certification levels
- Misconceptions about strength training with a sandbag
- The actionable takeaway after hearing this interview…
Please take a minute to review the show. It’s fast and easy to do. To see how to post a review in Apple Podcasts, go to RdellaTraining.com/review
The Rdella Training® Podcast is published each week with valuable training information and amazing interviews with many “world-class” coaches, experts, and authors in the fitness industry.
The Rdella Training Podcast is committed to helping athletes and fitness enthusiasts consistently evolve, grow, and become the strongest and best version of themselves. We teach intelligent training and lifestyle for serious fitness enthusiasts and dedicated lifters all over the world.
KEY ACTIONS FROM THIS EPISODE:
- Understand the principles behind the training system
- Understand the importance of functional movement patterns
- Use the links and resources to learn more about DVRT
- Consider how the system can address your own “gaps” in training
- If training with Ultimate Sandbags, focus on holding position & body position
- Getting Started With Sandbag Training
- Josh’s Book On Sandbag Training
- Josh’s BLOG Link (articles and training information)
Spread the word! Please share this on Facebook, Twitter or anywhere you’d like.
The post Josh Henkin – How To Use The Ultimate Sandbag To Improve Strength And Human Movement appeared first on Rdella Training : Strength Training, Kettlebells, Barbell Training, Weightlifting, Mobility Exercises.
Source: Rdella Training